Saturday, October 18, 2008

Googlrific


I can't help but to use this weeks blog post to reflect on what I think to be one of the most creative and brilliant ideas yet mentioned in class, Google kids. Ruthann last class asked whether or not there was such a thing as Google Kids. This got me thinking. What a brilliant idea. We have at our disposal the ability to foster immediate change for kids through perhaps the worlds most effective medium, the internet. We have spoken about the pro's and con's of internet search engines and how they filter and decide what results we receive. This of course being important to us Google fanatics but what about kids?
What an incredible way to educate children on various topics in the world in a manner that is not offensive but also accurate. Google kids would be an optimal way for children of various ages to look up things that they want, security protected of course, and find the results that best suit their intellectual capacities. If I were a child, which some would argue I am, I would think that Google would be much more convenient and easy to use if it had larger, colorful buttons. If it had easier to understand and read links. Along with big headings that discussed important global and local issues in a way that I could understand. This is not even mentioning the Google books section. This separate section could be titled Google Books Kids which would filter all relevant search results for particular children's books.
There may also be a grade or age tab which changes the age and reading ability of each child to accomodate their own particular comprehendability. A child may be able to learn anything ranging from the anatomy of the body to the scary Bush government in a non-offensive yet educationally beneficial manner. Just imagine the possibilities.
Ruthann I salute you! What a great suggestion. I want in!
There is something somewhat similar to it now but it is so limited and Ruthann's suggestion sounds so much more appealing.

1 comment:

Ruthann said...

What can I say, I'm just that good! :)
You've taken it to the next level though, Simon, and I like what you're onto.
Maybe we should both buy stocks in Google and present this idea to them, like Bill suggested!